The Queen of Nothing Book Review

The Queen of Nothing by Holly Black

2019


YA Fantasy


Spoilers to two previous books



The Queen of Nothing is a solid ending to a series I thoroughly enjoyed!


After being married to Cardan and exiled to the mortal world, Jude is left feeling like a fool. But when her twin sister Taryn reaches out, Jude must return to Elflame, reunite with Cardan and face her adopted father Madon’s insurrection


I thought The Queen of Nothing answered all my questions. This book takes place around a year or so after the OG events of The Cruel Prince. I think this was a believable timeline and made all the characters' choices make sense.


I enjoyed Jude’s character even more than I did in the past books, which is saying a lot. Her character arc is compelling and fun to read. Cardan’s character did feel slightly off, but I attribute this to his development happening off-page. In terms of the finale of the enemies to lovers, the longer timeline meant Cardan as a character has come a long way from The Cruel Prince and has many opportunities to redeem himself.


My only complaint would probably be how short this book felt. While I adore the series for being concise and easy to consume, I found the resolution of the impending war was solved rather quickly. I think this was the only book in the series where I wished I could have had a bit more information despite its clean writing.


Rating 4.5/5: Like all the other books in The Folk of the Air series, The Queen of Nothing draws you into the eerily beautiful world of the fae and makes for a satisfying conclusion to the series. 




Comments

Popular Posts