The Wicked King book review

The Wicked King by Holly Black

2019


YA Fantasy



Set after the events of The Cruel Prince, The Wicked King follows Jude as she trys to maintain her power and control her growing feelings for Cardan. 


I really loved The Wicked King! Starting this book after finishing the 900 page Kingdom of Ash made me really appreciate Black’s style of storytelling and worldbuilding. While relatively short compared to other fantasy books at 326 pages, the story is concise and compelling. Every action and every scene added something and I can happily say that The Wicked King did not suffer from middle book syndrome. I think that The Wicked King stands up on its own, adding and expanding to my understanding of what is possible in the faerie realm.

 

Jude and Carden are such complex, memorable characters. I never felt like I knew what was going to happen next with them. I absolutely love The Wicked King for keeping me on my toes and glued to the page.


Rating 5/5: I look forward to finishing the series with The Queen of Nothing, and the series!





Comments

Popular Posts