From the Ashes Book Review

From the Ashes: My Story of being Métis, Homeless, and Finding My Way by Jesse Thistle

2019

Autobiography

This review is spoiler-free :)




From the Ashes is a multi-award nominated memoir by Jesse Thistle. It was the first memoir I have read in years and completely changed my idea of the genre. I always thought that memoirs were boring and for most of my life, I avoided any books in the nonfiction genre. Now that I’m older and trying to read more outside of my comfort zone, I decided to read From the Ashes after seeing it in the front of my local bookstore. After reading Thistle’s memoir, I want to read more autobiographies not only for how interesting they can be, but also for the important perspective into another’s life.


I think in an ever changing world full of people, it’s important to read memoirs and nonfiction books to understand what we might not experience in our own lives. It takes compassion and empathy to understand another point of view. I read this book in the midst of Black Lives Matter protests and ongoing discussions of injustices within Canada. Thistle really dives into his life experiences, and in doing so covers so many different issues within Canada. Thistle’s narrative covers his early life as a young indigenous boy to his experience with homelessness, addictions, and access to healthcare/wellness services as a young adult. Perhaps most importantly, Thistle’s story is about power and hope. I’m truly so happy that he found the strength to write and share his story with the world. I’m even happier that Thistle is receiving recognition for what he has written.   


One of the reasons I loved the memoir was because of Thistle's narrative voice. The style of short chapters was like a snapshot of different portions of Thistle’s life. I was invested from start to finish. Along with the chapters, Thistle included images and photographs from his life so the reader could put a face to the real people within the novel. I also loved that the beginning of some chapters began and ended with poetry. It contextualized the events and gave more emotion to the content within. If Thistle plans on publishing again in the future, I would love to read a book of poetry! 


As a Canadian, I thought From the Ashes not only told Thistle’s life story, but that of many other Canadians who are forgotten. Canada has a representation of being a welcoming, open place full of accepting people. Citizens within my country are quick to comment how we are ‘better than our neighbors in the South.’ While a lovely thing to hear, it is far from the truth when reading of what Thistle has gone through in his life. If you’re not Canadian, or even if you are, From the Ashes definitely has the potential to change your image of Canada as a perfect country for all of its citizens.


Rating 5/5: I loved everything about this book and one of those books I think anyone interested in expanding their reading horizon should read!



Comments

Popular Posts