The Human Web book review

 The Human Web: A Bird’s Eye View of World History by J. R. McNeill and William H McNeill

2003


World History, Non-fiction



The Human Web tells the story of humanity through the lens of what connects and has connected human communities throughout history. The novel starts with the earliest generations of homo sapiens and works through some of the largest events that have led humans to the twentieth century. I love the focus on the connecting similarities between human communities. It puts into perspective how much connects us as people, not what divides us. Not many history classes I’ve taken in the past have encouraged me to think about human tribes and civilizations on a global scale, and The Human Web definitely developed my view of history, especially early human history.


Rating 4/5: Though I’m pretty sure The Human Web is actually a textbook, the “bird’s eye view” offers a great starting point to the study of human history. I’d be interested in knowing how the McNeill’s would change the events covered now that the book is almost 20 years old. Overall, if you ever find yourself having access to The Human Web, I’d highly recommend it!

Comments

Popular Posts