Pride and Prejudice Book review

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

1813


Romance, British literature



I loved Pride and Prejudice. It’s a book I’ve wanted to read for years, but I’ve always had trouble thrifting a relatively unmarked copy with a pretty cover. When I stumbled on this 1999 Wordsworth Classics edition at a thrift book sale, I fell in love. It’s compact, and the front cover’s painting is so fun I hope to find others in the collection! 


Pride and Prejudice tells the story of the Bennet sisters as their mother Mrs. Bennet tries to arrange a good marriage for each. Elizabeth Bennet, the second eldest of her sisters and main protagonist of the novel, must learn to overcome her wrongful judgements of character, specifically in regards to Mr. Darcy. Elizabeth and Darcy’s journey from start to finish is a compelling love story to read. I equally loved how this process did not happen all at once, leading to character growth that holds up today as it would have in 1813. 


Even though I was vaguely aware of Pride and Prejudice’s plot prior to reading, and have heard about Elizabeth and Darcy’s romance so many times through Instagram and other media, I knew nothing about Jane, Lydia, or the other Bennet sisters. I honestly think going into the novel with your initial prejudices (sorry, I had to) is the best way to read the book. Choking on tea about 200 hundred year old drama is the ultimate way to go.


As a lover of history, I found the novel’s exploration of marriage, wealth, and class really interesting. Pride and Prejudice presents the importance of marriage in the lives of women as much of their lives rely on one decision. Pride and Prejudice suggests through Elizabeth and Darcy that the best marriages are based on mutual respect and understanding, a message I wholeheartedly agree with. 


Rating 5/5: I enjoyed reading Pride and Prejudice! As someone who picks up the occasional romcom during reading slumps, it’s so interesting to explore the roots of modern day romances.

Comments

Popular Posts