The Song of Achilles Book Review

 The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

2011

Historical Fiction, Young Adult, Reimagined classics



The Song of Achilles is Miller’s first novel. After reading and loving Circe in the summer of 2020, I knew I needed to read this book. While I’ll admit I was impartial going in because of my love for Circe, The Song of Achilles did not disappoint.


The Song of Achilles chronicles the story of Patroclus, a prince disowned by his family, and Achilles, the best warrior in all of Greece. Told from Patroclus’s perspective, the book follows Patroclus as he becomes Achilles's companion and follows him into the Trojan war.


Miller’s writing in The Song of Achilles is incredibly beautiful to read. I love her style and I would give you a quote, but I can't choose just one. I never felt isolated from the now thousands of years old setting and more than anything, I wish this book didn’t have to end. I love the perspective of famed Greek battles. After having read excerpts of The Iliad in my classics class this semester, I have such an appreciation for Miller's way of bringing new light and perspective to the story.


I love how Patroclus’s perspective of his best friend and lover changes with age. When Patroclus is younger, he describes Achilles as a perfect, unattainable character. Yet as he grows older, Patroculs comes to recognize Achilles's flaws, but his love and dedication are unwavering. His devotion to the person he loves is really makes this book one to savor.


Rating 5/5: From start to finish The Song of Achilles will draw you in and stay with you long after your tears have dried from "that” ending.




Comments

Popular Posts