My Favourite Winter Reads

Winter is my favourite reading season. While I love reading on the beach, listening to audiobooks while walking through leaf-covered trails and in the car on spring road trips, nothing can beat winter reading. Living in Canada, my favourite winter afternoons are spent curled up with a fluffy blanket, a cup of tea, and a book, all beside a window where I can watch the snow fall. During the winter, I don’t spend as much time traveling and right now with COVID-19, my time spent outside my house is limited. It’s this time of year that I crave longer and more complex books to fill my time. On this list, I have compiled some of my favourite books I associate with winter reading!




1. The Invisible Life of Addie Larue by V. E. Schwab


I haven’t even finished The Invisible Life of Addie Larue yet and already I can’t wait to reread it! Over the past several nights, I've read and adored everything about the story.





2. Cat’s Eye by Margaret Atwood


Cat’s Eye is the psychological journey of Elaine from her young life to middle age. The story is about identity, the entire novel haunted by the presence of Elaine’s childhood best friend. Of all the books on the list, Cat’s Eye does require a bit of an investment. While a heavier read, Cat’s Eye is worth it for all of its thought provoking themes.




3. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott


Little Women tells the story of the four March sisters from two different points in their life. The story takes place over many years and captures sibling dynamics. It’s such a comforting read because Alcott perfectly balances the sad events with hopeful and joyful moments between the March sisters. But at the end of the day, Little Women is a story about love between siblings. The book is over a hundred and fifty years old, but I personally find it incredibly easy to get into. 





4. Grave Mercy/ The His Fair Assassins Series by Robin LaFevers


Grave Mercy is a fantasy novel set in medieval Brittany, a region of France that was once a sovereign country. The novel follows Ismae, a handmaiden of death as she must work as a secret agent in the royal castle. Grave Mercy is so unique, with murderous nuns, intriguing characters, and an in-depth world. The long length of the novel and series makes it a perfect for the long winter months.


5. On the Come Up by Angie Thomas


On the Come Up is Angie Thomas’s second novel and incredibly amazing like all of her books. On the Come Up follows protagonist Bri, a freestyle rapper as she pursues a career in the music industry. On the Come Up is beautifully written, and I loved following Bri’s thought process as she came up with her lyrics on the spot. The novel explores pertinent issues in rap and black culture, and is such an amazing read.


6. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo


Six of Crows had to make this list because of how much fun the plot is. Its darker undertones make it a YA book meant for adults as well. The book follows a misfit gang as they attempt a jewel robbery in a fantasy world based on Amsterdam and is a fresh take on a heist story. The plot and Bardugo’s writing make it a must read, especially with the upcoming TV adaption!



7. An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir 

Even though this book takes place in a warm climate, the action and characters make An Ember in the Ashes an addicting series perfect for long evenings. More violent and political than your average YA fantasy, An Ember in the Ashes follows Laia, a young woman posing as a slave to hopefully break her brother out of prison, and Elias, a soldier who dreads his future. To top it all off, Tahir’s world is incredibly diverse and full of impeccable worldbuilding!


8. Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys

Salt to the Sea is a book I reread at least once a year, normally around February. The book tells the intertwining journey of four young refugees to the Wilhelm Gustloff, a ship that will change their future. Salt to the Sea takes place in the middle of winter, and reading the book while in my warm house always gives me such an appreciation for the characters’ journey. While this is a novel that always manages to make me sob by the end, it’s perfect for winter afternoons.





9. Not if I Save you First by Ally Carter


Not if I Save You First is the only book on this list that takes place completely in the winter. The book is about protagonist Maddie as she hikes through the alaskan wilderness with her best friend Logan. The novel was incredibly unique and I loved the premise of kidnapped presidents sons and having to survive in winter nothingness. I originally listened to this book as an audiobook in the middle of winter on my walks to school and loved how immersive the setting felt. 


10. The Road by Cormac McCarthy


The Road is the darkest book on this list and definitely deserves a subject warning before going in. The novel follows a father and son on their journey through a post-apocalypse world. While death and human darkness is a major theme of the novel, the love and family elements of The Road make it a book that will stay with you for days. 


11. Lovely War by Julie Berry


Lovely War is a historical fiction novel with an amazing, well-executed concept. The book is narrated by Aphrodite as she tells the intertwining love story of two couples during WWI. I love the narration style and despite the couples’ ups and downs, Lovely War is ultimately a standout.





Comments

Popular Posts