My Favourite Books of all Time

 For my 6 month anniversary of creating this blog and restarting my Instagram page, and after posting a get to know me, I decided it was time to showcase some of my favourite books of all time!


This list comes in no particular order, nor is it able to capture every single book that I have loved in some way. Books that have been put on this list are here for their memorable characters, addicting plot, and themes that have resonated with me. Sometimes, it won’t be until I've read a book a second time or after a reread years later that I will realize how much I really love a book.



While I love all these books for some or many reasons, this list is in no way to say that these books are perfect or without issue. I am a firm believer that no book is 100% perfect, and I want to acknowledge that some of the books on this list come with their own set of problems. But, every reader is different and if you choose to pick up one of the books on this list, I hope you love it as much as I do!




The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood


The Handmaid’s Tale is a dystopian/speculative fiction novel set in a society where women are valued for their fertility and ability to bear children. The novel, first published in 1985, explores issues of gender, sexuality, religion, politics, and the concept of freedom.


When I first read The Handmaid’s Tale back in 2017, I thought it was published in the late 2000s. Imagine my surprise when I learned this book was decades older than me! I think one of the reasons I love this book is because its relevance has yet to fade out of Western culture. The Handmaid's Tale has been incredibly influential in my reading journey not only because it was the first “classic” adult book I ever read, but because it is the book that made me explore feminism. I fell in love with Margaret Atwood’s writing and to this day she remains one of my favourite authors. 



Carry On by Rainbow Rowell


Carry On follows Simon Snow in his final year at Watford, a magical wizarding school. As he balances his studies, friends, and controlling his magic, Simon must also come to terms with what it means to be prophesied as the greatest mage of all time. Along the way, Simon has the help of his best friend Penny and arch nemesis Baz.


Carry On is a book I always turn back to as a comfort read. I’m pretty sure it’s my most read book ever. I first read the book when I was in ninth grade, but as I grow older, I fall more in love with the characters and their imperfections. Considering that up until three months ago I rarely touched fantasy books (my Goodreads proves it!), Carry On is one of the first magical worlds to draw me in and make me want more. On top of that, Carry On has one of the best enemies to lovers plots. Chapter 61 is just *chefs kiss*.




Salt to the Sea
by Ruta Sepetys


Salt to the Sea tells the story of four young adults- a sailor, a restorative painter, a doctor’s physician and a pregnant young teenager- as they attempt to find refuge on the Wilhelm Gustloff at the end of World War II. Their journey through the countryside of Eastern Europe feels incredibly real and tells the story of people who are often forgotten by history.


Salt to the Sea is a book that always stays with me for days after I read it. I love the split perspective between four characters and how distinct each of their voices are. Sepetys's writing is poignant and immersive. The first hand experience of the characters over the course of a week offers a look at the war often ignored by western based perspectives and their interactions with one another push the story to the top of my favourite historical fiction books.  




Little Women
by Lousia May Alcott


Little Women is the story of the March sisters at two points in their life, first as young girls in the midst of the Civil War and again as teenagers as they begin to achieve their dreams. 


I love Little Women because it’s about sisterhood and everyday life. I find books about the growth of characters fun reads, but Little Women stands out because it feels so real. Despite the hundred and fifty years that separate us, I connected with the characters when I first read the book in middle school and again when I read the book in university. Little Women is such a gem in the classic book world and a heart warming read. 




East of Eden
by John Steinbeck


East of Eden follows the Trask family through three generations and includes a cast of characters from the Salinas Valley in California. The book explores so many subjects in its 500 page length, including religion, family, and love. 


East of Eden is considered by many readers, and Steinbeck himself, to be his best novel and I have to agree. While I haven’t read many of Steinbeck’s books, his prose is so beautiful to read and always manages to pull me in. The characters are all complex and the way their stories all weave together is flawless, a word I hate to use. Nonetheless, East of Eden is stellar and worth the dedication. 




Circe
by Madeline Miller


Circe is a fictionalized retelling of the myth of the Greek goddess Circe after she is banished to an isolated island. The story follows Circe’s growth from a young witch unsure of what her power is and how she learns to use the magic she possesses to take advantage of her full power. 


I read this book in the summer of 2020 and I fell in love with Circe and the world she lived in. Miller’s writing about the setting of Ancient Greece is so vivid and lush, it makes me wish that I could go back in time to experience the setting first hand. The character of Circe goes through amazing character development and despite being a minor deity, Circe’s struggles are so relatable. Her journey is distinct, each part of her life feels different from the last and makes the journey of her life feel real.


There’s so many other works that could have made it on this list, so stay tuned for my next book article about my favourite winter reads!


Comments

Popular Posts