Born a Crime Book Review

Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah

2016

Autobiography

Synopsis (Provided by the publisher): The compelling, inspiring, and comically sublime story of one man’s coming-of-age, set during the twilight of apartheid and the tumultuous days of freedom that followed.


I’m excited to post my first review of 2021! After reading my first memoir in a long time, From the Ashes, I was eager to dive into more non-fiction. When I came across Born a Crime by Trevor Noah on sale, I knew I had to give the book a go.  


In Born a Crime, comedian and Tonight Show host Trevor Noah reflects on growing up in South Africa during the Apartheid. If you haven’t ever heard of the Apartheid, the memoir is a great introduction, as Noah blends his own apartheid experience with background information. The novel also reflects on family, growing up, and community. 


Something that always astonishes me about memoirs is how authors are able to look back on their past so vividly. Noah does really well to establish the setting to his readers who may not have ever visited South Africa. Furthermore, I loved Noah’s ability to reflect on his past with such insight and perspective. While much of what takes place in the novel happens in the eighties and nineties, relationships between class and race are still incredibly relevant today. 


As a fan of Noah’s comedy, I really enjoyed reading the dialogue, where I thought his writing ability really shone through. All of the people within the memoir had a distinct voice. Every time Trevor or his mother spoke, I could imagine their voices in my head.


Rating: 4.5/5 I really enjoyed Noah’s writing and I couldn’t put the book down. If you’re looking for an easy nonfiction book to pick up this weekend, I highly recommend Born a Crime




Comments

Popular Posts