The Birth House Book Review

 The Birth House by Ami McKay

2006 (my ebook edition was 2009)

Historical Fiction


This is my first recommendation from someone else and also my first book by a local author! I’m really happy that my hairdresser recommended this to me because I must admit that I don’t read a lot of books by local authors. After reading The Birth House, I was reminded of how comforting it is to read books where the landscape is familiar, and how many amazing authors live nearby!


The Birth House takes place in Scot’s Bay, Nova Scotia, just outside the Valley if I have any locals reading this. I’m lucky to have visited the area a couple years ago, and I drive through every so often. The plot follows eighteen year old Dora as she apprentices with a midwife in the early twentieth century. Dora is the first daughter born to her family in generations, and some ostracize her for being constantly surrounded by boys. She eventually takes over the practice from Miss. B, the midwife, and faces hardships from poverty and men who don’t believe in midwifery. 


McKay put a lot of research into early twentieth century life to, in my opinion, accurately depict Nova Scotia life in a small village. The research into old medical practices is equally in-depth, and super interesting to read about. All of the small details create a believable and immersive landscape.


As for the characters, I liked the cast, though some came across as one dimensional through Dora’s eyes. One example was Archer, Dora’s abusive husband. While Archer could have been an interesting villain and someone who prevents Dora from achieving her dream of becoming a midwife, he came across as unnecessary. All he did was disappear for a large portion of the novel.


Overall, I enjoyed the experience of reading THE BIRTH HOUSE, though I’m not sure how I would have felt if I wasn’t familiar with the area. Additionally, the novel is fast paced with little descriptions of everyday actions and routines. I just felt like the plot could have moved a little slower and taken the time to establish a bit more.


Rating: 3.5/5 Even if this wasn’t a perfect novel, I don’t know of many other books that take place in this time period that take the time to cover as many subjects as The Birth House did, especially with such a young protagonist.

Comments

Popular Posts